Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Cupcakes!




Today I decided to try some experimenting vegan baking; typically I just do gluten
free but I like mixing things up.  I think I got lucky with the milled flax seed as an 
egg substitute, I decided to put the flax seed and water in bowl and see what
happened.  I didn't expect it to come out like an egg, but when it did I was more 
than pleased.


With the glaze I pretty much just through whatever I 
had together that was vegan 

and when it cooled completely it had a fudge or taffy kind of texture. 
Very tasty, though.



Enjoy!




Gluten Free and Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
with Chocolate Glaze

3/4 cup brown rice flour

1/2 cup soy flour
1/2 cup masica

1 1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 baking powder

1 tsp xanthan gun
1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp instant coffee
1/3 cup apple sauce
3/4 cup soymilk
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp milled flax seed
1/2 cup water
1 tsp vanilla

Combine flax seed and water together, let stand for 1/2 hour until it
reaches an egg-like consistency.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Sift together flours, sugar, salt, baking powder/soda, xanthan gum,
and cocoa powder in a large bowl.

In a separate bowl combine flax seed mixture, instant coffee, soymilk,
vanilla, apple sauce, and lemon juice in a medium bowl.

Next fold liquids and flours together.

Bake for 15 minutes, rotate pan 180 degrees half way through baking.

Let stand until completely cool, if you remove them while they
are still warm they will fall apart.

Makes 12-18 cupcakes.



Vegan Chocolate Glaze


1/3 cup sugar

2 tbsp water
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 square bakers chocolate
1 tsp instant coffee
1 tsp corn syrup
Tiny pinch of salt

In a small sauce pan combine everything, except vanilla, until
melted together on medium low heat.

Stir continuously until mixture slightly thickens.

Take off heat, add vanilla

Spoon onto cupcakes.

**If anything is missing or wrong let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment